Fault Locating of Power Cable Systems
Cable system reliability has always been a major consideration in the delivery of electric power. Increased load demands and system expansions continually re-emphasize the significance of reliability. A corollary to this is the accurate and expeditious location of cable system faults and the determination of the reasons for their occurrence. This program is designed to impart and improve knowledge and skills required to locate cable faults on power cable systems in the field. This includes common methods such as thumpers, arc reflection and earth gradient. Field-testing is demonstrated. Individual training in the use of arc reflection method is included.
Who Should Attend
This training program is for personnel who fault locate on insulated power cable systems in the field and those that have supervisory responsibility for such work. The program includes fault location and an introduction to fault analysis, utilizing accepted industry standards and practices. A certificate of completion will be awarded.
Course Fee and Registration
The Course fee is $575.00 for Birmingham sessions.
Text Notes by Faculty Members.
Transportation to and from the field site at the VON Corporation Birmingham plant.
Mid-morning Coffee/Tea breaks, Tuesday and Wednesday.
Light luncheon, Tuesday.
Mid-afternoon refreshment break, Tuesday.
The course will conclude at approximately 12:00 PM on Wednesday. For attendees who fly to Birmingham, flights home should not be scheduled to depart before 1:30 PM, to allow adequate time to get back to the airport.
Advanced registration is required. Class will be limited to about 10 students due to the nature of the field site activity and required faculty supervision. No more than 4 students will be accepted from any one company per class. Registration fees received up to 20 days before a session will have priority in sequence of their receipt. Refund requests received less than 10 days before a session will be subject to a $25.00 charge.
Classes will be conducted at the Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Lakeshore Drive 160 State Farm Pkwy, Birmingham, AL (google map) (205)940-9500. Contact the Drury Inn directly at (205)940-9500 for room reservations and request our special group rate ($104.00) Reference our group name of "VON Corporation.". Each registrant is responsible for meals except those outlined under "Course Fee and Registration. Reasonably priced eating facilities are within walking distance. Cab fare to the Drury Inn is approximately $35, and Birmingham has Lyft and Uber service from the airport.
OUTLINE OF COURSE PROGRAM
7:45 to 8:00 a.m.Registration
8:00 A to 12 noonClassroom at Hotel
- Underground cable construction, cable insulations, termination construction and types
- Introduction to cable testing
- Fault location theory and procedures –thumping, radar, arc reflection, and earth gradient
- Fault location case histories
- Sectionalizing using arc reflection method.
- Criteria for cable replacement
12:00p.m. to 12:45p.m Lunch (furnished)
1:00p.m. to 5:00p.m. Field
- Set up of equipment, safety, circuit isolation, and circuit connection
- Fault locating with thumpers and using arc reflection method in small teams on actual cable runs located at various stations
Wednesday 8:00 a.m. Leave for Field Upon Arrival at Field
- Individual arc reflection practice using radar
- Arc reflection practice at various test stations using radar.
- Sectionalzing demonstration at the test field.
- Presentation of certificates and conclusion.
12:00 p.m Return to Motel